Sunday, July 26, 2009

3D and The Unsung Joe

I’ve been so engrossed in the Tour de France these past three weeks that I’ve neglected this blog. So now it’s all over and while the riders are getting wasted in Paris, my focus is back on the world of cinema.

The news that’s caught my eye this week is that Real D are bringing a 3D cinema to a big London hotel. The screening room at London’s May Fair hotel will soon be converted to digital and ready for 3D action. This is set to be one of the most luxurious 3D screens in the UK. And this conversation comes on the back of a 400% increase in European cinema screens converting to digital.

My other news story of the week is that 80% of the UK’s online population visited a social networking site in May 2009. And they were not just young Internet users. The over 55s made up 67% of this figure. These statistics, and the mind shift they represent, is proof to me that you can’t separate the world of digital cinema from the bigger picture of digital development.

However, without doubt the best cinema discovery I’ve made in a long time is The Unsung Joe. A fascinating blog following the lives of those bit part actors from the darling days of cinema and just what else happened to them before they died. Brilliant reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment